Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
85 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising American Revolution Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemoration Commemorations Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion Film films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Hamilton Hall Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture House of the Seven Gables illustration Illustrations Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seasons Seventeenth Century Shopping Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials
Top Posts & Pages
- Evil May Day: anti-alien riots in 1517 ourmigrationstory.org.uk/oms/londons-ev… via @runnymedetrust 53 minutes ago
- RT @Brodie_Waddell: On 30 April 1517, thousands of Londoners rioted against immigrants. Read my new piece for #OurMigrationStory here: http… 56 minutes ago
- #fiddleheads in the #salemwoods @ Salem, Massachusetts instagram.com/p/BTen4T0jXLt/ 1 day ago
- RT @CreativeSalem: Event #1 welcome to the @boston.vintage and more for the first #salemma Spring Tweed Ride! #tweed #tweedride #crea… http… 1 day ago
- Salem Inn Refresh! twitter.com/CreativeSalem/… 2 days ago
Blog CourtesyI always attribute the images that I use in my blog; if you are going to copy them, please do so as well.