Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
85 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books British Library Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemoration Commemorations Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture House of the Seven Gables illustration Illustrations Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seasons Seventeenth Century Shopping Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Winter Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials World War I
Top Posts & Pages
- #chimeracat #calicocat #catstagram #catsofinstagram #trinity @ Salem, Massachusetts instagram.com/p/BQ8tPJiDmTt/ 8 hours ago
- Amazing digital history site on "criminal corpses": criminalcorpses.com 10 hours ago
- Born #OTD, Friedrich Spee, who condemned the witch trials from the center of the storm: flickr.com/photos/uofglib… 15 hours ago
- "Rebels enough to have eaten them up": the British react to Leslie's Retreat in #SalemMA, 2/26/1775: streetsofsalem.com/2017/02/23/re-… 2 days ago
- RT @dspangallo: .@oliver_brothers conservators in #SalemMA City Hall today to prep for next phase of historic portraits restoration using C… 2 days ago
Blog CourtesyI always attribute the images that I use in my blog; if you are going to copy them, please do so as well.