Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
87 responses to “About”
Streets of Salem:
Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising American Revolution Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemoration Commemorations Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture House of the Seven Gables illustration Illustrations Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts Medieval Memory museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seasons Seventeenth Century Shopping Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials World War I
Top Posts & Pages
- An Open Letter to the Leadership of the Peabody Essex Museum streetsofsalem.com/2017/12/18/an-… https://t.co/TSHIw17orC 3 hours ago
- If architecture is any indication, a dystopian future awaits the @PEMLibrary. #keepsalemshistoryinsalem https://t.co/MgcQrK6g8w 2 days ago
- Rare pemlibrary photograph of Mrs. Nancy Remond, matriarch of Salem's enterprising and activist… instagram.com/p/Bcr7Os8H1OM/ 4 days ago
- RT @jacremes: I hope that other historians of Salem will also send letters. This fight is not just about Salemites keeping their heritage.… 4 days ago
- How one historian of Salem views the removal of the @PEMLibrary from Salem. twitter.com/jacremes/statu… 4 days ago
Blog CourtesyI always attribute the images that I use in my blog; if you are going to copy them, please do so as well.