Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at email@example.com.
76 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books British Library Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemoration Commemorations Crafts Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts media Medieval Memory museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shopping Smithsonian Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials World War I
Top Posts & Pages
- Carpetbloggers! Love that term: wordpress.com/read/post/id/6… 20 hours ago
- RT @LordScroley: For those that missed 'When Polar Bears recreate classic Pre-Raphaelite paintings', love those crazy bears http://t.co/dIU… 4 days ago
- #Strandbeests at Crane's Beach, Ipswich. twitter.com/malcolmgay/sta… 1 week ago
- Calais, site of memory: foreignaffairs.com/articles/europ… 1 week ago
- Mid-Mod Cocktail Party Sat September 26 in Ames Hall, 1 Sewall Street, Salem, MA historicsalem.org/events/midmod/ via @wpsec 1 week ago