Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
73 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books British Library Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemoration Commemorations Crafts Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Garden gardening Gardens George Washington Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts media Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shopping Smithsonian Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Winter Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials World War I
Top Posts & Pages
- RT @HoughtonLib: April 14, 1865, 8:30 PM: Abraham Lincoln leaves the White House to see a play at Ford's Theatre. He would not return. http… 3 days ago
- RT @DonnaThorland: This house is in danger. Please sign: change.org/p/bergen-count… & share @SalemWGNA @SilkDamask @daseger @EmersonWBaker htt… 4 days ago
- This book looks great! uppercasemagazine.com/typewriter/ 6 days ago
- First Muster Reenactment on Salem Common this morning: salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_… 6 days ago
- Interactive map of Shakespeare's London: citylab.com/housing/2015/0… 1 week ago