Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at email@example.com.
65 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising American Revolution Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art Auctions books British Library Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemorations Crafts Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens George Washington Graphic Design great houses Great Salem Fire of 1914 Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts media Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shakespeare Shopping Smithsonian Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials
Top Posts & Pages
- Beautiful house, beautiful setting, pretty pristine: oldhousedreams.com/2014/07/22/180… 1 day ago
- RT @2nerdyhistgirls: RT @joannemajor3: 'Too much and too little, or, Summer Cloathing for 1556 and 1796.' #16thC #18thC #fashionhistory htt… 1 day ago
- Pied Piper Day: streetsofsalem.com/2012/06/26/the… 1 day ago
- Cape Cod Modernism: preservationmass.org/2014/07/modern… 1 day ago
- RT @SalemMA_COA: Volunteers wanted for cleanup of beaches at Salem Willows, Winter Island & Forest River Park, starting July 14. Call Walte… 2 days ago