Occasional observations—scholarly, impressionistic and materialistic—-of a history professor fortunate to live in one of America’s oldest and (I think) most interesting little cities: Salem, Massachusetts. Somehow, I’d like to tie all of my favorite things together: history and historic preservation, architecture, design and decoration, gardening, shopping and everyday curiosities. Feel free to email me with your comments and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
62 responses to “About”
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsabolitionism advertising American Revolution Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art books British Library Chestnut Street Christmas Collectibles Commemorations Crafts Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films First Period Flora and Fauna folklore Food and drink Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens George Washington Graphic Design great houses Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Japan Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts media Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shakespeare Shopping Smithsonian Teaching Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials
Top Posts & Pages
- A threatened 18th century stone house in Bergen County, New Jersey: northjersey.com/community/2485… 10 hours ago
- Renaissance "Rocket Cats": theguardian.com/books/2014/mar… 1 day ago
- History of Massachusetts slide show: historyofmassachusetts.org/photo-gallery/ 1 day ago
- I'm already tired of the media headline "Crimea and punishment". 1 day ago
- Really beautiful medieval dramatic ms. acquired by British Library: britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanus… 1 day ago