There was a brief British occupation in Salem this past weekend as a joint collaboration between the Salem Maritime National Historic Site and Minute Man National Historic Park brought Redcoat reenactors to Derby Wharf. On Saturday, General Thomas Gage and his troops arrived and made camp, in commemoration of then-Governor Gage’s short-lived attempt to move the capital of the Massachusetts colony to Salem (away from very agitated Boston) in the summer of 1774. This plan was unsuccessful, and the resistance to it set in motion the events of the following year. Gage wasn’t in Salem for very long. The 2011 Redcoats departed on Sunday afternoon.
June 21, 2011
This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 21st, 2011 at 6:57 am and tagged with Local Events, Revolutionary War and posted in History, Salem. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
2 Responses to “Weekend Redcoats”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsadvertising Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art books Chestnut Street Collectibles Culture design England ephemera Etsy Flora and Fauna Garden gardening great houses Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Library of Congress Local Events Maine Massachusetts Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shopping Teaching urban planning weather Witchcraft Witch Trials
Top Posts & Pages
- Wonderful post about the peach orchard at Gettysburg: americanorchard.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/the… 25 minutes ago
- RT @MayorDriscoll: Getting it done right,more important than getting it done fast-agreed! @peabodyessex expansion delay http://t.co/F8McfHV… 2 hours ago
- Jane Austen's world, online: whatjanesaw.org 1 day ago
- I'm attending Conservation Evening conta.cc/11Y84ln #constantcontact 2 days ago
- Second Annual Conservation Night at the Salem Athenaeum: salemathenaeum.net http://t.co/u162Ah1Kp1 2 days ago