Why is it that the warm and festive decorations of Christmas look so wilted, glitzy and gaudy in the cold clear light of early January? One really craves Scandinavian simplicity at this time of year. I chose a reindeer theme for this year’s holiday decor and now I’ve got alot of deer to pack away, along with ornaments and other embellishments. In addition to the reindeer head measuring cups from Anthropologie and the John Derian plates on our marble mantles, my favorite reindeer this year is the fabric wall hanging from Middleburg Folk Art Studio.
Daily Archives: January 2, 2011
By Donna Seger
The blog (a portrayal in progress):Somewhat random but still timely posts about culture, history, and the material environment, from the perspectives of academia, Salem and beyond.
Topicsabolitionism Abraham Lincoln advertising American Revolution Antiques Antiques and Collectibles Architecture Art books British Library Chestnut Street Collectibles Commemorations Crafts Culture Decorative Arts design England ephemera Etsy Exhibitions Fashion films First Period Flora and Fauna folklore Frank Cousins Garden gardening Gardens George Washington Graphic Design great houses Halloween Historic Preservation holidays Home horticulture illustration Interior design Interiors Japan Library of Congress Literature Local Events Maine maps Massachusetts media Medieval museums Nathaniel Hawthorne New England Nineteenth Century Peabody Essex Museum Photography Popular Culture Pottery print culture printing Renaissance Salem witch trials Samuel McIntire Seventeenth Century Shakespeare Shopping Smithsonian Teaching travel Tudors urban planning weather Witch City Witchcraft Witch Trials
Top Posts & Pages
- The Feast Day of St. Nicholas: streetsofsalem.com/2012/12/06/sai… 1 day ago
- RT @SlateVault: Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory's digital archive project buff.ly/1bkRKko 1 day ago
- SUGAR--always a coveted commodity: brown.edu/Facilities/Joh… 2 days ago
- RT @PEMLibrary: Explore Polonsky Foundation Digitization Project, joint effort of Bodleian & Vatican library to view ancient texts. http:/… 4 days ago
- Careless ghosthunters burn down a historic plantation: examiner.com/article/haunte… 5 days ago